About exchange program
How do I know if I can apply for the Exchange Program in Shih Hsin University?
All applications for admissions as non-degree exchange students are based on the agreement of collaboration signed by Shih Hsin University and the partner institution.
Is there any insurance that SHU provides for exchange students?
The accident insurance is provided to all exchange students in the event of unexpected accidents during their study at SHU. The starting date will begin on the official airport pick-up date and ends on the date of airport drop-off service date. Exchange students should buy the overseas medical insurance by themselves. Students can buy it in their home country or after they arrive at Shih Hsin University.
What is the difference between visitor and resident VISA?
- Visitor Visa is required for all short-term exchange students with non-R.O.C. citizenship. Since it may require from a few days up to several weeks to obtain a visitor visa depending on your location, it is imperative to inquire as early as possible to access to the nearest Taiwan embassy or the consulate of Taiwan (the Republic of China) in your country for detailed and accurate information.
- Resident Visa:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in Taiwan for more than six months for the purpose of participating in international exchange programs are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in Taiwan as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.
For the VISA information, please visit Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)
For the Resident Visa for Foreign Students (Exchange students) information, please visit https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-284-6f5f7-2.html
Are there any Mandarin Courses that we can take? If so, are they free?
The exchange students can take fundamental or advanced Mandarin Language courses and other courses offered in English by various academic departments on SHU campus and the tuition will be waived.
For the Official Website of The Center for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, please visit Center For Teaching Chinese as a Second Language
Do I need to apply the school dormitory by myself? How much does it cost?
After you received the letter of acceptance of exchange program, we will send you an application form to apply for the dormitory. We will keep your place once you send the application to us. The dormitory fee for one person is NTD24,000/semester for a quad room and NTD40,000/semester for a twin room. The utility fee will be charged every two months and the fee is NTD5/ kWh.
Can I choose my roommates?
Exchange students will share the room with other exchange students from other partner universities, your roommates may have different nationalities with you. All dormitory rooms are allocated by the University and students cannot choose their roommates or accommodation buildings.
What is the SHU dormitory mailing address and what is the required information?
- Name: (XXXXX)/姓名: XXXXXX
- Room No.: (XXX)/房號: XXXXX
- Shih Hsin University Dormitory/世新大學宿舍
- No. 18-19, Sec. 7, Xinhai Rd., Wenshan Dist., Taipei City 116, Taiwan (R.O.C.)/116台北市文山區辛亥路七段18-19號
Is it possible to change my dorm room?
In order to be fair to everyone, the dormitory office does not allow you to change your assignment. In addition, we are at full capacity each semester, thus room changes are not possible unless students encounter difficult situations.
What are the other regulations of the SHU dormitory?
- SHU will hold students financially responsible for any damage incurred to their rooms during the contract period and for any SHU property students fail to return.
- Residents are not allowed to drink alcohol or smoke inside the dormitory and cannot possess, use, or offer illegal drugs.
About life on campus
What other transportation is there to SHU?
- Taipei Metro system/ MRT
- For further details, please check the following link Location & Transportation
What's the living cost in Taiwan?
Living cost is around NTD10,000~NTD13,000/month in Taipei. Breakfast is around NTD100, lunch and dinner is around NTD200/meal. Bus fare NTD15/section. MRT fare around NTD25-NTD55/one-way (depended on distance). Student can use student card to take bus and MRT with student discount.