About exchange program

How do I know I can apply for the Exchange Program in Shih Hsin University?

All applications for admissions as non-degree exchange students are based on the agreement of collaboration signed by Shih Hsin University and the partner institution.

Does SHU accept freshman applications for this program?

Full-time undergraduate and graduate students, except for freshmen, with excellent English OR Chinese speaking and writing proficiency and intercultural adaptability with a recommendation letter from home university’s international office are qualified for the selection.

Is there any insurance that SHU provides for exchange students?

The accident insurance is provided to all exchange students in the event of unexpected accidents during their study at SHU. The starting date will begin on the official airport pick-up date and ends on the date of airport drop-off service date. Exchange students should buy the oversea medical insurance by themselves. Students can but it in their home country or after they arrive Shih Hsin University.

What is the difference between visitor and resident VISA?

  • Visitor Visa is required for all short-term exchange students with non-R.O.C. citizenship. Since it may require from a few days up to several weeks to obtain a visitor visa depending on your location, it is imperative to inquire as early as possible to access to the nearest Taiwan embassy or the consulate of Taiwan (the Republic of China) in your country for detailed and accurate information.
  • Resident Visa:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of participating in international exchange programs are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

For the VISA information, please visit Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)

For the Residents Visas for Foreign Students (Exchange students) information, please visit https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-284-6f5f7-2.html

Are there any Mandarin Courses that we can take? If so, are they free?

The exchange students can take fundamental or advanced Mandarin Language courses and other courses offered in English by various academic departments on SHU campus and the tuition will be waived.

For the Official Website of The Center for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, please visit Center For Teaching Chinese as a Second Language

About accommodation

Do I need to apply the school dormitory by myself? How much does it cost?

After you received the letter of acceptance of exchange program, we will send you an application form to apply our dormitory. We will keep your place once you send the application to us. The dormitory fee is NTD 24,000/semester  for a quadruple room, NTD 33,000/semester for a double room.  The utility fee will be charge by each two month, the fee is NTD 5/ kWh.

Can I choose my roommates?

Exchange students will share the room with other exchange students from other partner universities, your roommates may have different nationalities with you. All dormitory rooms are allocated by the University and students cannot choose their roommates or accommodation buildings.

What is the SHU dormitory mailing address and what is the required information?

  •  Name
  • Dorm No.1, Room (XXX)
  • Shih Hsin University
  • No. 1, Ln. 17, Sec. 1, Muzha Rd., Wenshan Dist., Taipei City 116, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
  • Telephone: 886-2-2236-6139
    Ext. (Dorm No.) - (Room No.)

Is it possible to change my dorm room?

In order to be fair to everyone, the dormitory office does not allow you to change your assignment. In addition, we are at full capacity each semester, thus room changes are not possible unless students encounter difficult situations.

What are the other regulations of the SHU dormitory?

  • SHU will hold students financially responsible for any damage incurred to their rooms during the contract period and for any SHU property students fail to return.
  • Residents are not allowed to drink alcohol or smoke inside the dormitory and cannot possess, use, or offer illegal drugs.

About life on campus

Is any free airport pick-up service available?

We offer free airport pick-up service on assigned date. Official airport date announced through e-mail by the Office of International Affairs

What other transportation is there to SHU?

What's the living cost in Taiwan?

Living cost is around NTD6,000~NTD8,000/month in Taipei. Breakfast is around NTD50, lunch and dinner is around NTD80/meal. Bus fare NTD 15/section. MRT fare NTD25-NT D55/one-way (depended on distance). Student can use student card to take bus and MRT with student discount.