• Exchange Student
    Step 1:Nominated by your Home University
    Step 2:Submit required documents
    Step 3:Get the letter of acceptance from SHU
    Step 4:Reply course selection , airport pick-up service and dorm application form
    Step 5:Flight to Taiwan !!!
  • Visitor Student
    Please directly contact our incoming student coordinator Ms. Vicky Wu (vickywu@shu.edu.tw) for more detail information.
  1.  Application Form
  2. One Recommendation Letter from Home University or Language Center for proving basic English or Chinese ability
  3. Copy of annual transcript
  4. Copy of passport-Personal information page 
  5. Health Certificate
  6. One digital personal photo (3.5cm*4.5cm)


**Student whose mother language is not Chinese wants to take Chinese-taught courses, he/she must have at least HSK 4 or TOCFL A2 level.  

Application Guideline

1.Important date

You must submit your application via the International Office or the coordinator at your university. Application should be postmarked no later than the deadlines of 31st May for the Fall Semester, 5th November for the Spring Semester entry. Application not nominated by home universities will not be accepted and we only accept application form sending from International Contact Window of your home institute. It is your responsibility to gather all required documents earlier than the deadlines for the International Office to send out your application package to SHU in time.

2.Personal Information

You must have a Chinese name because it will be used on your student ID card, and your Chinese name must remain consistent. There are two ways to fill in the blank. If you have Chinese name, please fill it in. If you do not have a Chinese name and will accept an alternative name given by SHU, please choose “accept a given Chinese name” in this blank. Your Chinese name will be given mainly according to the translation of your original name. Exchange students must study the Chinese Language Course during their exchange period. If students choose not to take Chinese Language Course, they must indicate reasons in their applications.

3.Emergency Contact

You must provide an emergency contact which can be reached. It can be your parents, your relatives , your teachers or your closely friends.

4.Home University Information

You must indicate clearly your department, university, level of study, and the current year of your study.

5.Contact Information

You must provide a valid telephone, cell phone number, mailing address, especially email address, which Office of International Affairs can send important information and notice.

6. Accommodation

All exchange students are guaranteed to have accommodation, but rooms are allocated by the university, it means that students cannot choose their roommates or accommodation buildings. The fee of dormitory depends on the MOU between two universities, it’s up to free to exchange students.

If you apply for SHU dormitory, this is a guaranteed application. You will not be notified of the confirmation of accommodation. If you don’t want to apply school dormitory, you should get the permission of home university first. SHU is not responsible for arranging off-campus housing, neither being the guarantor for students when they rent the house outside.

7. Home University Coordinator

After you complete the application form and gather all the required documents, please ask the International Office or the coordinator at your university to fill out and sign this section.

8.Statement of Purpose

In the space provided, please indicate in Chinese or English your motivations and plans for studying at SHU.

9. Health Certificate

This is the policy of Taiwan government. Each international student should do the medical checkup before entering Taiwan. For one semester exchange student, please submit the ” Health Certificate for Short-term Student”. For two semester exchange student, please submit the “Health Certificate for Resident Application”.

Download full application guideline

  • Visitor Visa is required for all short-term exchange students with non-R.O.C. citizenship. Since it may require from a few days up to several weeks to obtain a visitor visa depending on your location, it is imperative to inquire as early as possible to access to the nearest Taiwan embassy or the consulate of Taiwan (the Republic of China) in your country for detailed and accurate information.
  • Resident Visa:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of participating in international exchange programs are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

For the VISA information, please visit Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)

For the Residents Visas for Foreign Students (Exchange students) information, please visit https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-284-6f5f7-2.html